I also went to Half Priced Books on Friday night and found some really great (and really cheap) design books that I think will help me with my research.
- The Book of Hearts by Francesa Gavin
- This book has a very simple theme: hearts. It showcases many different artists and the way they rendered the symbol. There is a wide variety in artistic methods and metaphors, even interpretations of a heart but the book is cohesive for that one simple reason.
- I feel like this might be a successful way to string together work from so many different types of art. Just finding one universal idea that can be taken in a multitude of ways.
- Finger Print by Chen Design Associates
- This book explores the art of using handmade elements in graphic design.
- I think this book could help me learn how to utilize artist's handmade work in a digital way. It could also help me think of different ways to design that it can maybe feel more hand rendered - elevating it to a higher form of art.
- Non Traditional Design by Mike Quon
- This book explores the imaginative, far out and innovative, trend setting visual styles.
- This will provide inspiration for how I can break conventions of magazine design by studying examples of designers that have done so successfully.