Tuesday, October 14

Midterm Self Reflection: Human Centered Design

What have you learned?

I've developed a new understanding for client work. Instead of just designing a poster: we had to consider where the poster would be placed, what sound the poster was representing, and who was viewing the poster (in a car/ by foot). These are things we haven't thought about before for a poster. I also developed a better understanding of collateral material. Such as how to take dominant elements from the poster design and make them work in another layout. As well as simplifying elements without disconnect between the different collaterals. Another big thing when working with professional clients, is that what matters to them is if it works for what they want it to work for. We're constantly in the world of concept with other designers critiquing our designs.  When sometimes the most important thing to the client is functionally over concept. 

What have been your successes? 

I was successful in my drive throughout the project. Early on I was able to come up with a wide variety of ideas / iterations. As the project progressed I took critique to heart and kept making changes. Although I'm still not 100% happy with the final poster design, what designers ever really are right? The type just isn't there yet on the poster, but I plan to revisit that. When I started making collateral, it kind of worked itself out. My concept really focused on the collaboration/ hybrid aspect of Southern Exposure which I think was successful, but the samba influence should’ve probably been toned down a bit. There music is much more a mash up of sounds / genres but I got stuck on this unique samba quality. Although the different digital / hand drawn illustrations worked well together to evoke this idea of a mash up.

What can you do to improve moving forward? 


Going off what I've already said, I think I need to constantly reconsider all of my options when designing something, especially something specific to a certain musical album. I sort of put myself in a box with the colors / samba influence, when it would have been stronger if I had considered the other influences. I also had type issues. Form should follow function. I just wanted to play around with hierarchy and do something different, when I should've been focusing more on the location of the poster and putting it in that context.  

No comments:

Post a Comment