Friday, October 25

#kcbeautiful gets color

We decided to spray paint the hashtag a trendy color as well to go with the whole idea of a trendy hashtag in Wisdom Script a trendy typeface. The color we choose is turquoise pastel. Here's the process photos and we've also posted a few of these on Instagram with the #kcbeautiful to add onto our digital page. Now we've just got to connect the "#" and the tittle of the lower case "i", we got bamboo skewers to connect them. After talking to some woodworkers they suggested we drill holes into the sides and place skewers inside so that's it's both sturdy and discrete.
  











Thursday, October 24

Package Design for Friday's Critique


Design Proposal I: Simplified Illustration 
Attributes: Elegance, Joy, Dynamic 






Design Proposal II: Realistic Photograph 
Attributes: Energy, Taste, Fun 






Design Proposal III: Altered Photograph
Attributes: Simplicity, Quality, Confidence 




Wednesday, October 23

Package Design Aderrations

My main critique was to make my package design less text heavy. Also the bottle I was using in my last design was half full, so I wanted to make the bottle full so that the potential buyer would know what they're getting. It was suggested I work with altering the bottle design as well so here's some of the bottles I made to try and work with. 









& some more recent designs... It's getting kind of hard for me to know 
when my designs are good enough to stop making all new ones. But here's some I've 
made since my last post, I'll point out the ones I'm considering going with. Once I get all my work together in my head it'll just be a matter of picking my favorites for the mid critique on Friday. 


The goal here was to stick to one of my simple designs but replace the old bottles with images of filled bottles. This design would work for the simplified illustration method and would be communicating simplicity and quality. I think this design is still missing something  but I'm leaning towards it for my simplified illustration method design. 


The goal with this one was to use a more realistic looking bottle in my design and completely change the color palette. This design would work for altered image method and would be communicating fun.


I wanted to respond to the suggestion that I enlarge the bottle size and have the image wrap around. This would work for simplified illustration method and would be communicating confidence. 


This is a design I feel is pretty successful and I'm leaning towards using it for my realistic photograph method and it would communicating energy.


Would work for simplified illustration method and is communicating taste. I think I have stronger ideas for the method of visually communicating the image. 


I was experimenting with placing the scanned in images "PEPPER" and the little flame drop out of Tabasco sauce on top of the bottles. Sort of like labels, but not more like the contents of what's within the bottles. Something about this design bothers me but I just wanted to share progress. 








Digital Sketches for Intervention








Here are some digital sketches of our hashtag working in some of the locations we plan to visit. It's kind of a hit or miss so we're trying to plan accordingly just in case no one's around to interact with at that location. Our chart explains this more clearly. 



Analog Planning & Social Media Documentation







Our hashtag BEFORE the Intervention




This is what a screenshot of Instagram and Twitter before our project. Hopefully these pages will grow, that's the goal! We're also posting our progress while we build it with the hashtag.

Intervention Plan


Tuesday, October 22

Intervention Project


We're using the typefaces Helvetica for the "#", and Wisdom Script off of the Lost Type website for the letters. We wanted the letters to all be joined together so that people can pick them up as one piece and take a photograph with it. We bought a two inch wide piece of extra wood to add backing, so that the hashtag is joined and there will be something for people to grab onto. But we'll see what it looks like after it's been cut by the CNC. We're scheduled for Thursday morning at 9am. 



We got our material, MDF wood. It barely fit in the car but thankfully 
the Home Depot guy helped us tie it into Edith's car. 








And here's a bunch of different angles of the fountain near The Plaza, our location. Hopefully the day or days that we go out there, it's more like the top photo with a bunch of people around. We're planning on having a few of our friends with us to take pictures first so that strangers see that and know it's okay to interact with the piece. 

< Group members: Edith and Ashton >