Thursday, September 5

Project One: Exploring Letterform



Garamond lower case "t"
For this letter I was emphasizing the curves of the letter to further emphasize the rounded corners of the typeface. This is why it's placed in a corner of the wall. Because I split the letter into two separate pieces I made them look like puzzle pieces just to make it visually obvious that they went together and where they would connect to make the full letterform. Also while exploring the pieces of this letter I liked that it the "t" is still recognizable as a "t" without it's lower half of the steam and terminal. 


Bodoni lower case "t"
The main idea for this one was that Bodoni is a decorative typeface with a contrast between thick and thin lines. I connected the letters at their cross strokes and terminals to show their delicate thin lines, leaving the stress of the letter on the outside of the design. This typeface is elegant so I used a dark gray on white. Also I read that the typeface is draws the viewers up and down rather than horizontally (making it hard to read when used in body rather than title work) so I made the design very vertical.  



Univers upper case "T"
Univers is a typeface that is or almost is as common as Helvetica. This typeface is everywhere. Not only that but this specific letterform "T" is made up of two right angles, and can be found anywhere. The typeface is very geometric and the letterform perpendicular. So I outlined some bricks on the wall in our studio in a light brown color purposely to make it easy to miss. It's just like the typeface, it's there you just have to look for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment